Friday, December 02, 2005

Hike on a Bike - Part I

Access to a computer, and time in my hands to type something out too. The combination of these two is very rarely encountered by a college student such as I, who keeps moving around with friends in his free time so that he may avoid going "home".

As of now, this maybe stale news to most of my friends(I should say all) that I recently (recently?...GOD!! this post is months old....)met with an accident while on my bike (on my bike?..more off it than on it). Here's how the events proceeded...

ON my bike :-
I was on my way back home from my college bus-stop after my basketball practice (which I happen to attend everyday at college) and was feeling quite full of myself having played well at practice that day. When one is full of oneself, it so happens that thinking about oneself ie self ego (isn't that REDUNDANT!!?) is not very benficial to self, for while on my way back I tried overtaking a certain auto-rikshaw at a bend. And after I came on the side of the rikshaw did I realize a tempo kind of truck (I'm sorry of it sounds oxymoronic) heading straight for me - headlights blazing!! And in an effort to avoid collision with the tempo (with ABT couriers written in bold...so, I found out later..) I veered towards my right...

OFF my bike :-
...but to little effect, for the next thing I knew I was flying, having been thrown off my bike. The bike scraping the road while I rolled on the floor and came to a stand still (STAND still?!... more like lie still.. or .. hmmm.. I hope you get the drift..) half a foot away from the footpath and before I knew it, I had an entire hoard of people helping me get off the road where i momentarily lay out o shock. Everyone asking me questions like : "Are you ok?", "Eyindra pa? Yebudi viyinday?"(thats tamil for "Get up child. How did you fall?". Oh, for the lesser readers, 'tamil' happens to be the local language here in chennai). I still don't understand the point of that last question, whoever it was who asked it, having perfectly witnessed the accident still did not have the wit to figure out what happened? (SHEEESH!!) Besides this particular person, everyone else seemed to have been very helpful. When they managed to lift me off the road I realized I wasn't exactly bruised enough to have needed help to get up and told them the same and they let me stand on my own. I struggled to find my cellphone which one of the "helpers" handed to me after parting it from the broken glass that now lay on the road, courtesy : a broken indicator from a bike and a damaged headlight from the truck aka ABT couriers van. Once having found my mobile phone, I realized it had no battery ie the battery was missing. After a short search i found the battery, but to no avail as it didn't have any charge. Seeing this one of the "helpers" offered to let me call from his phone : a nokia 3600, the "helper"'s name :
Praveen! Praveen _______ (curious, isn't it,I don't seem to remember asking him for his last name) ! I told him the number to my aunt's place which he dutifully dialled and gave the phone to me.

I informed my aunt about the accident which I had just encountered and told her I was quite alright and all she said was that she'd get to the spot asap. So, started the wait for the arrival of my aunt at the scene of the accident.

To be continued ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey man nice page here.....good tht ur keepin a record of things happenning in ur life something like an e-diary that everyone can c. provides for entertainment u know. ur bike thing was a close call i guess (funny though) man.....but next time around u might not be so lucky......take care.
happy blogging!!!