Friday, November 03, 2006

I fear...

No, I'm not dead.. Atleast not yet.
Yes, I know it's been a long time since I posted.
No, I haven't forgotten to blog.
Yes, I was rather busy with other "stuff". (I know you dint ask for that answer.)
Yes, my semester exams are approaching which is why I have enough time to kill.

Before you read this post, I'd like to state that, peoples' fears seem trivial to the ones who aren't afraid of whatever it is that others are afraid of and vice-versa. (This applies to me,too)

Q: What is greatest fear?
This is a question I've been asking everyone, off late (The past 3 days).
Here are the responses I got..

Ans: "I fear (that)..."

1."...uhh..".
-These guys just couldn't think of anything that they could term as their "greatest fear". (LOSERS!! HIPPOCRATES!!)

2."Fear".
- Daamn! It sounds like a dialogue from an arbitrary Hollywood flick. Some guys just don't take me seriously. Yea.. Yea.. I know, it is very "wise" to be afraid of nothing but fear itself, but PUHLEEEEZZE, come off it!

3."Death".
- This one was a really popular one. It just doesn't make sense to fear death. When asked why they fear death because they "don't know what lies beyond it". Why fear something that's unknown?
But, then again, one fears something only because one doesn't know what lies beyond it. But, DEATH?
Come ON!!!!

4."I'll face lonliness","I'll lose my friends" ,"I'll lose Mr/Ms/Mrs.X as my friend" and the like.
- Such fears are based upon the kind of friends and family one has. Either that or you're just plain insecure. And yet, the people who said that this was their fear had or rather HAVE amazing friends most of whom I know personally.
Well, get over it! You know you got great friends which is exactly why you fear losing them (A bit of an oxymoron, that.. But, it's true). If you're still not convinced, I reckon you oughtta read,"Who moved my cheese?". If you already have then, you might want to give it another read and look at it from the perspective of "losing" friends. Noone "loses" their friends, you might lost touch with them, but that doesn't mean you "lost" them.

5."I'll be social reject ".
-Deep! That was one of the most unique answers that I got. A valid fear for which I can't seem to find a way to get overcome it. The man(girls can't have such deep fears... Oops, sorry!), when asked how he intended to overcome it replied,"I'm prepared for it, which means half the battle is won."

6."Spiders/Cockroches/Butterflies/rats/mice" and the like.
- GIRLS!! Actually, I'm afraid of mice too, but I don't fear them enough to name them as my "greatest fear" (You're right.. I do like to put words in quotes, but I reckon I don't make excessive use of it).

7."I may not be able to live as comfortable a life as I do now".
- I found this to be a very valid fear, I partly fear this too.

8."I may not be a good mother"(No points for guessing the sex of the person who gave this answer).
- I have no idea how THAT feels. I can't really relate to that owing to my sex.

Most of the responses I got come in one of the above categories of fears. As for mine, well..

I fear that I may not be "successful in life".
- As far fetched as it may sound, it really scares the begeeses outta me. Reasons for which are as follows:
1. I don't exactly have a "plan" for life. (yes, yes.. I'll stop quoting everything)
2. I don't know what I'm "good" at. (I didn't say I would do so immediately)
3. Oh, a few more, none of which I intend to publish. A lot of people read this page, even if you don't do so regularly.

How do I intend to overcome it?
- I don't exactly know. I hope to overcome it by the time I face it.

I get reminded of a dialogue from the movie Rang De Basanthi, where Aamir Khan says:
College gate ki ee tharaf hum life ko nachaathe hein.
Dim-lakh-lakh-thhe.
Dim-lakh-lakh-thhe.
Aur gate ke dujji tharaf, life hamei nachaathi hei.
Dim lakh-lakh-thhe.
Dim lakh-lakh-thhe.

Translation:
On this side of the college gate, we make life dance to our tunes while on the other side life makes us dance to its tune.
(If you're gonna comment, comment along with your "greatest fear(s)").

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

girls DO have pretty deep fears too! they jus dont publicise them too much.. n my greatest fear, not suprisingly, is the unknown.. n i dont mean the future or nythin like that.. jus the unknown..

juvenile delinquent said...

I never said that girls are incapable of having any (to quote) "deep" fears..
As for your fear; Well, isn't the fact that something is unknown the reason why we fear it?
Be more specific about your fears. Too many things are "unknown" to the human mind..

Anonymous said...

ignorance is bliss..well.. sometimes at least.. the known can be more threatening than the vast unknown.. as for being specific.. my worst enemy is my imagination.. wich takes everything i dont kno or im unsure of and magnifies it.. wich is prob why im scared of the dark too..

Shiv said...

I believe, nobody knowswhat do do with his / her life at this stage dude. Ppl say they know... but lets be honest, 'They DONT'. Success in life is a very generic term... While it is attributed to carrer success, it is not restricted to that alone.

In the movie Life is beautiful, the protagonist is a Book keeper. Not the most challenging of careers... but he manages to be a lovely father in times of grave danger, and a wondrful husband. WHile in the end, he does die, His life was a Success. Pls watch the movie and ull get what i am trying to say...

Shiv said...

If u are worried abt ur Next Step... (read as 'career'), relax! Tons of ppl are never happy with their job... just because u have an MBA degree, or an MS Degree, or a job that pays well on the 1st of every month, u neednot be successful. Ones success in life can be measured only after death! (Oxymoron... but i feel it is true).